This one doesn’t involve baking as such, but my mum used to do this all the time and it could look seriously horrid.
You will only need sausages and a can of sweetcorn.
Get as many sausages as you need to feed your party and cook them in the oven until thoroughly cooked. Leave them to cool. After they have cooled, open a can of sweetcorn and drain. Individually pick out bits of corn and bury one onto the end of each sausage so it sticks out like a nail. You have cooked witches fingers!
Okay, time for some sweet stuff!
To make the ‘men’, you will need a gingerbread man mix. The ingredients and method is below:
- 350g/12oz plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 125g/4½oz butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp. golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the food processor and pulse until the mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm/¼in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them. For decorations, use a skewer to make a small hole in the top of each biscuit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled decorate with the writing icing and cake decorations.
For the Mummy look, use white icing and dribble it from side to side if each man to make it look like they are wrapped in tissue! If you are a little steadier, you can also make them look like skeletons.
Banana Ghosts and Orange Pumpkins
Should really have a healthy one up here too! All you will need here is as many oranges and bananas as you need, chocolate chips and some celery sticks.
Peel the bananas and cut in half. At the pointy end of each banana use two small chocolate chips, (slice the chips in half if they are too big) and stick them on the end so they look like eyes! You only need to press them on gently and they should stick on.
For the oranges, all you need to do is peel them. Slice the celery sticks so they are small, 1cm long should do each little bit. After, all you have to do is slide the bit of celery into the hole at the top of the orange and you have a pumpkin!
The cupcake recipe can be found in my other cupcake article. It is super easy and can be found here. Just ignore the decorations.
For our creepy cupcakes, you will need orange, green and black food colouring, icing powder, some jelly snakes and popping candy.
To decorate the cakes whip up a batch of icing in each colour and ice the cakes. Whilst the icing is setting sprinkle the icing with popping candy, then, place a jelly snake on top so it looks like it’s coming out of the cake!
— Jasmine Northam, Correspondent (Food)